Monday 4 April 2016

Design team make....Wall Plaque and Cushion Cover


Hello everyone..Genny here. I wanted to share my two makes with you this week. The first one is a plaque that I have made using a MDF blank. I kept seeing these words on lots of home decor items and thought..I could do that..lol. I first began with the blank plaque and painted it with some light green acrylic paint. I then added some torn papers..the paper was from a pad from the selection here at JB-Crafting Supplies. I then inked the edges with distress ink in a green..I do have a bit of a thing for green..as I'm sure you all know by now..lol. The letters that I used on the plaque were from an alphabet that I've had lurking in my stash for a couple of years..but I'm sure that Julie could source some for you. I finally added some die cut flowers from my stash. If you don't have a diecutting machine you can of course make your own flowers in any way you like. There are lots of templates out there...looking through my stash, I have a few that I had totally forgotten about. I'm going to put this plaque on the wall in my parlour.

And now for my second make...I just had to share the story with you all. The picture is of a cushion cover that has only taken 40 years to finish. My Grandmother began this in the 1960's and I can remember her sitting sewing it. Sadly my Grandmother died in the 70's and all her embroidery got packed away..boxes of half finished projects. Now my Mother was a hoarder and all the boxes of embroidery and sewing moved house with her about 5 times. She passed away in 2004 and I had the job of sorting all her belongings and I moved the boxes to my house. Well I decided that the time had come to go through the final boxes that had been in my loft for the last 12 years. I went through the remaining boxes and came upon the box of my Grandmothers sewing. I had to smile..there was pieces of Crimplene..the wonder fabric of the 60's and 70's..and they are so in trend now..lol. The colours are as vibrant as ever..I may even make a top up using some of it. I also found lots of rolls of daisy edging and rick rack edging..I can remember it on my dresses. Then I dug deeper and found this cushion cover..half finished but with all the threads still in the bag. So I finished it and it's now about to sit on my couch. You can tell where I've stitched because the thread edges can be seen..where as where my Grandmother had stitched they have sort of blended. But as I look at it..it takes me back to the days when I was a little girl, sitting talking to my Grandmother whilst she stitched. Happy memories. So if you have anything that has been sitting around for a while, I would encourage you to finish it.


Next week I will be sharing another wonderful Pinflair kit with you all. So until then...take care and happy crafting.

No comments:

Post a Comment